In December 2013, the General Assembly of the United Nations designated 5 December as World Soil Day (WSD) and at the same time declared 2015 as the International Year of Soils (IYS). Both WSD and the IYS are essential platforms to raise awareness at international, regional and national levels about the fundamental role of soils for human life.
For the official closure of the International Year of Soils, and to celebrate the World Soil Day, a number of events are taking place in the beginning of December, all over Europe:
- December 3rd 2015: Paris: Under the patronage of MEDDE and MAAF, the event “Les sols et le climat” (The soils and the climate),
- December 4th 2015: Rome, FAO Headquarters: Celebration of the World Soil Day 2015 with closure event “Soils: a solid ground for life”,
- December 4th 2015: Brussels: European Commission, Brussels Capital, Flanders and Wallonia regions organize the event “Healthy soil for a healthy life”,
- December 4th 2015: Torino: IPLA, “Suolo, impatto antropico e sostenibilità ambientale” (Soil, human impact and environmental sustainability),
- December 5th 2015: Rome: Soil day: “La vita sotto i nostri piedi” (Life beneath our feet),
- December 7th 2015: Vienna: FAO, IAEA and International Union of Soil Sciences celebrate the International Year of Soils 2015: “Achievements and Future Challenges”.
Source: European Soil Data Centre ESDAC